Friday, February 27, 2009

Musing on the Subject of Life

Lately, I've been thinking quite a bit, about religion, morality, philosophy, and life in general.

In other words, I've been doing the same old thing! :D I love a good thinker.

Anyways, my recent "reason for life" philosophy isn't anything new, me thinks, but it took me a while to sort of centralize my thoughts around one word: caring.

Now, this is going to sound Barney-esque... but caring makes the world go 'round.

I've been thinking this through, and the only reason we feel emotions is because we care. We feel happy when someone we care about achieves a goal, or when something we care about gets lost, we feel sad.

And it goes beyond emotions. Lately, I see in my peers and myself a general attitude of "whatever". There's no impetus, no zeal for anything! Learning, fine arts, philosophy, and anything that requires effort, it seems, are just thrown to the side, and that just makes me sad. Hardly any of my classmates read, and they see it as a punishment instead of a way to learn and grow!

Maybe this is just me, but entertaining philosophical thoughts and just higher thinking once in a while is a good thing. It keeps your mind open to possibilities and lets you grow as a person. If you care about yourself and others, truly care, wouldn't you want to do everything possible to help them?

Would we still have poverty, war, and fierce, bitter resentment and arguments if everyone just cared for each other and wanted the best for them?

Again, not a revolutionary thought in the least, but as of now, I'm making a resolve to simply care more and not be so "whatever". I don't want to lose the ability to think, or the ability to care and love.

(... Man, that all sounds cheesy! :P)

2 comments:

  1. totally agree that teens should care.. what is up with the recent defense mechanism of apathy? where did that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I missed this post the first time around, but, man oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, yeah I know quite a few people who really value learning and education and what-not, and there's not a shortage of intelligent people in my school, but most people seem to take the Honors, Accelerated, and AP courses for only the label of Honors, Accelerated or AP. I just coordinated my schedual for next year, and 5 out of my 6 courses are AP only because that's the level at which I want to study them. Others who'll be taking four, five, six APs don't seem to have the same zeal for the work, and that's disappointing to me.
    Man, I'm looking this post over again, and I'm having that feeling of same-wavelength-coolness-oddness come over me. Why do we think the same, dude? Why?! ^^

    ReplyDelete